Tuesday, 30 December 2014
hope you all had a really good break over Christmas and are looking forward to the New Year with the same sort of enthusiasm I am (the New Year that is, not the New Year's Eve party!)
I've been busy with family related things so haven't managed to get much hobby related stuff done. As for month 1 of my project, the razorwing has moved on a little since last week, but not significantly enough to call it finished or to show you a picture. The good lady wife is going out with friends tomorrow night though for food and a few drinks to natter over how awful their in-laws have been over Christmas so I'm hoping to get it finished then. I have made some substantial progress elsewhere though.
Monday, 22 December 2014
so no posts at all last week (thanks Papa Nurgle!). Hopefully on the mend now so today here's an update on month 1's painting progress for the Blogwars 9 project.
Wednesday, 10 December 2014
Monday, 8 December 2014
Greetings one and all - welcome to this week's painting update! Now I've been a bit naughty and posted teaser pics of these units on other sites I have a presence on (namely The Dark City and MAD Wargames) but here are all the pics in their unadulterated glory...
So first up, here's my Archon, Ylos Dalur, (Background fluff). He's pretty much finished barring a couple of highlights and the biggest puzzle at the moment - the helmet on the base!
Ordinarily I'd simply paint it in the colours of one of the relevant armies used at my club, but in this case the only chaos armies I tend to face that are painted are black legion (not exactly the most visual of colour schemes) and night lords (and I'm not convinced their particular brand of blue would work too well).
At the moment, I'm thinking that an original Sons of Horus (Dark turquoise/green) colour scheme would look pretty sweet, without going too far over the edge of being bright or clashing with the rest of the model - what do you reckon?
So to follow on from that then, I've made a bit more progress on the Razorwing since I last posted pictures. This is mainly in the realm of gems and metallics, but here's the current state of progress.
The metallic areas are pretty much done and finished, with just a few gems to do and power glows to highlight.
The gems are about halfway done, I've done two layers but will be adding a third highlight just as soon as the paint arrives, and the white glint to the rear of the gems needs adding also.
The main area of work on this models left to do is the scrollwork around the armour panel joins - I finished the raider on Saturday night but couldn't then face doing all of the razorwing in the same session!
Speaking of which, here's the model closest to completion from this month's list - the Raider.
So to finish, the raider needs the skull and spike ornaments washing and highlighting, all the gems need either painting from scratch (I missed a few first time round) or finishing off, and the base details picking out (I'm thinking Sons of Horus helmet again, might as well be consistent across the army eh?)
So what do you all think, worth the change? I'm pleased so far but as ever I'm always happy to hear suggestions as to how I can improve things.
Monday, 1 December 2014
Still, today is day one of the first month of work on my 1850pt army for the next blogwars tournament, so i thought I'd share my progress (i got a bit of a head start yesterday on month 1's painting list). The pic above is the basecoat of the razorwing, I've since added a drybrushed second layer, and started adding the detail to the armour panels, latest pic as below:
In the background of that picture I'm sure you've also noticed the Archon I'm working on - there's a bigger picture to follow.
I didn't want the armour of the archon to be the same colour exactly as the razorwing, but rather than go deeper I decided that actually pale armour on the warriors and archon would look pretty cool. Keeping the 'cool' theme, but still wanting to include a spot colour to draw the eye from the fairly neutral purple, I decided to go with a vivid blue.
I really like the contrast this gives the purple and it also gives a nice spot colour. Next step therefore was to figure out the metallics to use. I didn't want to use a pure silver, seems a little dull for the ultimate race of indulgents, so I'm planning on using a brass effect instead, the picture below only shows the base colour though, the final finish will be toned down quite significantly.
So that's it for now, hopefully I'll have plenty more done for next time!